Tuesday, December 7, 2010

An excerpt from...

EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED


"She eats well enough and is healthy, insofar as she's never sick, but her body looks like that of a chronically sick girl, a girl squeezed in some biological vise, or a starving girl, a skin-and-bones girl, a girl who is not entirely free. Her hair is thick and black, her lips are thin and bright and white. How else could it be?
Much to Yankel's dismay, Brod insisted on cutting that thick black hair herself.
It's not ladylike, he said. You look like a little boy when it's so short.
Don't be a fool, she told him.
But doesn't it bother you?
Of course it bothers me when you're a fool.
Your hair, he said.
I think it's very pretty.
Can it be pretty if no one thinks it's pretty?
I think it's pretty.
If you're the only one?
That's pretty prett.
And what about the boys? Don't you want them to think you're pretty?
I wouldn't want a boy to think I was pretty unless he was the kind of boy who thought I was pretty."

So sometimes I read. And what?
Turn a page, learn a little something.


K. x


No comments:

Post a Comment